Friday, August 27, 2010

First Line Friday

Tessa Dare is one talented writer! In her debut book, Goddess of the Hunt, she crafted a wonderful Regency-era tale of tangled love with extremely realistic characters. From the very first line, she grabbed my attention and didn’t let go.

A knock on the door in the dead of night could only mean disaster.

IMO, this is a perfect example of an exceptional hook because this single bold statement made me want to keep reading. And that, my friends, is exactly what an opening hook is meant to do.

Goddess of the Hunt is the best romance novel I’ve read in a long time. The dialogue is witty, the characters multidimensional, and the love story spicy and heart-warming. I liked it so much I picked up the other two novels in this trilogy the first chance I got. Both have excellent first lines.


Surrender of a Siren
In fleeing the society wedding of the year, Sophia Hathaway knew she would be embracing infamy.

A Lady of Persuasion
Sir Tobias Aldridge was contemplating an act of cold-blooded murder.

I love these first lines so much; I wish I’d written them. :)

What do you think of these first lines? Do you have a favorite?

0 comments:

Post a Comment