Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lost in Tudor England

John Steinbeck once said:  “Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.”

Yesterday I had a dozen plus bunnies hopping around my head and it felt more than a little crowded.


So what’s a gal to do when she’s deeply engaged to her current WIP and a new idea takes hold?

Write it down
Brainstorm
Let your imagination run wild

Because if you’re anything like me, you’ll forget all the juicy details by tomorrow or, at the very least, forget what was so darn exciting about the idea when you finally revisit it in a few months.

I went one step further yesterday and began research on an idea that’s been brewing in my mind for a long while now. For half a year I’ve only had a very vague outline about this paranormal romance I want to write.  I don’t know much about the characters or even the exact era in which the trilogy will take place. Victorian, Viking, Medieval. Who knows?  I've yet to settle on a time period.  Up until now I haven’t allowed myself to dwell on the details of this trilogy because I don’t want to get distracted from my current WIP.

But yesterday something I read sparked an idea and I allowed my imagination to soar. And l landed smack in Tudor England!



Once I hit on the perfect time period, everything clicked into place. I got so excited, I spent yesterday afternoon researching Henry VIII’s court. I didn’t get any writing done on my current WIP, and yet I had a very productive day. Eventually I’ll flesh out my characters and let the story really take hold.

Today, it’s business as usual. The glittering, sumptuous world of Henry VIII’s court has taken a backseat to the pageantry of the Middle Ages as I set out to wrap up an oh-so-important scene in my current WIP. Looks like Tudor England has to wait for the weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment