Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WIP Wednesday


A Creative Funk

These past two weeks I didn’t write a single word.  I couldn’t focus.  Truth is I didn’t even want to try.   My muse was on strike, and I didn’t care.  It didn’t even seem worth the effort to drag myself to my office, to place my fingers on the keyboard and start typing. 

So what was my problem?  Simply put: I was in a creative funk. 

It wasn’t a case of writer’s block; I had no loss of ideas.  Rather, I had a lack of motivation to write.  I needed a break, just a few days in which to recharge my mental batteries.  A gal deserves a respite every now and again, right? 

But I’m a writer!  I’m supposed to write! 

Well, yes, that’s true.  However, the words weren’t coming easily and I didn’t have the energy to force them onto the page.  It happens, even to the best of writers.  Just ask Stephen King.

Instead of trudging through sentences and scenes, I gave myself permission to relax.  Instead of writing during my free time, I chose to do something else.


I watched  a movie on the Lifetime channel and listened to lots of music. 

  David Charvet + no shirt = yummy goodness


I read a few books and painted my nails. 

 Isn't that a gorgeous color?!  Makes me wish that was my hand.


 I took the dogs for long walks and reorganized my closet. 



Yeah, I felt slightly guilty that I wasn’t using every possible free moment to write.  I hate to waste valuable time and I don’t like to be called lazy.  Still, I realize how important it is to take small breaks to stay recharged.  That said, I'm happy to report my funk ended yesterday.  All of a sudden, I got the urge to write.  So I did – and wrote 2,355 words on my novella!  Apparently all I needed was a little “me” time to get back into the writing groove.

Have you ever been in a creative funk?  What did you do?  Did you force yourself to write, or wait for your muse to return?

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo on the new words! I agree with you-- there's no point in forcing yourself to write when you really dont feel the urge. I know people say you must write everyday, but not everyone is like that, nor can their schedules allow that. Ive found when I push myself, my funk tends to last longer then if I just let it happen and embraced my break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Natalie. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete