Friday, February 24, 2012

First Line Friday: Twice Tempted by a Rogue


In today's market it's almost essential to hook the reader from the get-go.  And it needs to be done as close to the first words as possible.  A great first line in a romance (or any) novel is one that immediately grabs the reader's interest and compels her to keep reading.  One author who knows how to do this well is Tessa Dare.  Her first lines are amazing. Seriously.

This week I finally cracked open Twice Tempted by a Rogue, the second book in Tessa Dare's Stud Club trilogy. Here's the first line:



"Rhys St. Maur, newly Lord Ashworth, was a broken man."



When I read this first line, I just knew I had an intense and very emotional story on my hands.  And like every Tessa Dare romance novel I've read, I can't wait to discover the story of this character. There's something about this author's writing that makes the hero and heroine  - and all the delightful secondary characters - come to life from the paper.  Every word is to be savored.

What do you think about this first line?  Do you like it?  Do you love it?  Or does it fall flat?  Most importantly, does it make you want to keep reading?

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I love your First Line Friday posts! I'm glad you're doing it again =)

    Yes, Tessa Dare does have good first lines, and this one is a prime example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - Thanks! It's been a while since I found a first line that really grabbed my attention.

    Let's face it: Tessa Dare is a rock star. =)

    ReplyDelete