Friday, March 16, 2012

First Line Friday: Firelight


This week I started reading Firelight, the first book in the Darkest London series by Kristen Callihan.  I've heard good things about this book and author, and am looking forward to finding out if this historical paranormal romance is as good as those rave reviews.

Here's the first line...

 
"The knowledge that Archer would soon end the life of another cut at his soul with every step he took."


It isn't the best hook I've ever read, but it's pretty darn good.  Why?  Because when I read the line, it 1) got my attention 2) peeked my interest and 3) made me want to keep reading.

And, of course, that's exactly what a hook should do.

So what do you think?  Do you like this first line?  Does it make you want to read on?

1 comments:

  1. I agree with you-- it isn't the best hook, but it still worked to capture my attention =)

    ReplyDelete