Friday, June 8, 2012

First Line Friday: Within the Flames


It's been waaaay too long since I did a First Line Friday post!  Sorry, but it's been some time since I've read a first line that really moved me.  I recently cracked open Within the Flames, the eleventh novel in the Dirk & Steele series, written by Marjorie M. Liu.   If you're looking to read an engaging paranormal romantic thriller, then I urge you to pick up Tiger Eye, Dirk & Steele book one.  I've read and enjoyed all of the books in the series.  Marjorie M. Liu writes great first lines.

Take a look at the first line of Within the Flames:


 "It began as a game."


Even though it's unclear from the first line what type of book this is, I think it's a terrific opener because it immediately catches my attention.  This short sentence makes me want to keep reading to uncover the Five W's: Who is the story about?  What began as a game?  When is it happening? Where is the game taking place?  Why did it begin as a game? 

So what do you think? Do you like this first line?  Does it make you want to read on?

3 comments:

  1. Same questions I would ask upon reading that first line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie - Thanks for stopping by my blog, and for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. You're welcome. Love the red theme!

    ReplyDelete