Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fit To Be Tied

In 1854, when Florence Nightengale organized 38 nurses to leave for the Crimeon War front, she insisted that they be provided  with homogenous dress. 


Her demand for grey tweed wrappers, worsted jackets, caps, and brown scarfs with "Scutari Hospital" emblazoned in red was, remarkably, met in only four days.  The result was the first uniforms for women.


The catch was, they didn't fit.  There was simply no time to measure the nurses individually so a variety of sizes were made and randomly handed out to the women.

Source: Let There Be Clothes by LynnSchnurnberger

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read Lorraine Heath before? She has a good book where the heroine is one of the nurses. For the life if me I can't remember the title and I just packed all of my books. But it's a blue cover and it's smack dab in the middle of a three book series, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't ready anything by Lorraine Heath. I'll check her books out on Amazon. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete