Friday, August 10, 2012

First Line Friday: Heart of Brass

TGIF!

Do you love Fridays?  I do!  There's just something about Friday that makes me smile, whether or not I have fun plans in place for the weekend.  In my house, Friday means it's time to stay up late and watch movies.  The last day of the work week also means it's time for First Line Friday.

Today I've selected a first line that is dialogue.  I've taken several writing workshops on killer openings and, though I can't remember exactly where I've heard it, I've been told that it's not a good idea to open your story with dialogue.  Is this a set in stone sort of rule?  I'm not so sure.  What do you think?

Here's the first line from Heart of Brass, the first novel of the Clockwork Agents, a steampunk romance by Kate Cross.


"You shouldn't go in there, ma'am.  'Tis no place for a lady."    


I, for one, think a first line of dialogue can work if it makes me want to read the rest of the paragraph.  And this first line does exactly that: it makes me want to read more.  And isn't that what a first line is supposed to do?

What do you think about this first line?  Do you like it?  Does it make you want to keep reading?  Do like first lines that are straight dialogue?

1 comments:

  1. This was a fun read, and I'm looking forward to the next book from Kate Cross. Heart of Brass had wonderful characters, heartless victims, secret government agencies and weird automatons--plus steamy romance. Something for everyone!

    Marlene
    Info site for Skagway Shore Tours Company

    ReplyDelete