Friday, January 25, 2013

My Friday Love (1)

Happy Friday!  

It's been a looooong time since I've talked about the things I've loved during the week.  Ooops.  I confess this particular meme, which spotlights the things you really, really liked for the week, slipped my mind.  So, without further ado, here are my favorite things from this week:



Easy.  Easy to love.  Easy to recommend.  Easy to want more.  I'm talking about Easy, the new adult book by Tammara Webber.  I finished reading it this week.  It's the first New Adult book I've read, and I can guarantee it won't be the last.  I loved this book! 

The characters are extremely relatable and likable and real.  The heroine is vulnerable and genuine yet strong.  The hero is mysterious and tortured and beyond yummy.  The loyal friends are interesting and supportive.  The book deals with a lot of emotional, gritty issues, but they are so tastefully presented they make the story much stronger.  I found a few of the plot points to be predictable, but that didn't keep me from turning the pages. 

I especially enjoyed the college setting.  It took me back to my days on campus, waking across the quad, sitting for hours in class learning and studying, the afternoons I met my boyfriend (now my hubby) for lunch at the university's union.  Tammara Webber nailed this setting so accurately.  I can't wait to read what she writes next.  

American Horror Story: Asylum.  This show creeps me out, big time.  And yet, I couldn't not watch it.  The acting is that good.  Jessica Lange is freaking brilliant!  Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, and Zachary Quinto are no less amazing.  Bonus: Evan Peters is such a cutie.  I hear he's dating Emma Roberts.  Lucky girl.


Aslyum has much more than the original: the Catholic church, sexual repression, Nazis, eugenics, the Devil, misogyny, interracial relationships, serial killing and aliens.  The plot was, by no means, simple and yet somehow it worked.  It was crazy and brutal and sad, with just the right amount of horror thrills.  I loved the dramatic showdown ending.  Internet rumors are swirling about the next season focusing on the Salem Witch trials.  Oooooooo!  I can hardly wait!

 
RT Book Reviews.  The post office dropped off the March issue of RT Book Reviews magazine this week.  Yay!  I always let out a crazy little squeal when I see my favorite magazine in my mail box.  A digital version of the magazine is now available.  I haven't looked at that version yet, as I love perusing the print edition and highlighting all of the books that I want to read.

 

Beauty and the Bounty Hunter.  I received this book as a Christmas gift from my hubby. 

I don't normally read romance novels set in the Wild West.  I'm not sure why that is, considering how much I enjoy Western movies.  Anyway, I was so intrigued by the blurb for this book by Lori Austin, I knew I just had to read it.  When you read the title, you probably think the bounty hunter refers to the hero, right.  Nope.  The bounty hunter is the heroine. The hero is a sexy con artist.    


Sam and Dean go medieval!  In this week's episode of Supernatural the sexy demon-hunting Winchester brothers wind up at a LARP Renn-fest, where they run into Net-girl extraordinaire Charlie -- played by the adorable Felicia Day, who I adore.  The story was zany and weird and funny.  The best part: Dean dons chainmail.  Jensen Ackles looks good in anything, am I right?  But he's damn fine in medieval garb!  There were so many hilarious moments in this episode, it's hard to single out just one.  Oh, wait, that's not true.  The ending was my favorite.  When Dean donned facepaint and a wig and rallied the troops with the speech from Braveheart, I almost died laughing.



Sam's hair in a ponytail is too funny.


That's my Friday Love.  What are you loving this week?

3 comments:

  1. I also love EASY and RT Magazine.

    The book sounds interesting! I think I'll have to check it out =) Thanks for the recommendation.

    This week I started the new TV series, THE FOLLOWING. It's sooo good so far.

    Umm, I think that's it for this week! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat - I missed recording THE FOLLOWING on the night it aired, but it was on again tonight and I recorded it. The hubby and I plan to watch it soon. =)

      Delete