Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter Writing Festival

The Ruby-Slippered Sisterhood Winter Writing Festival starts on January 10th!



I've participated in this writing festival before, and it proved very helpful to me.  My favorite part of the festival is that you can set your own goals.  Anything goes.  You decide what you want to do to turn your productivity up a notch. 

THE RUBY WINTER WRITING FESTIVAL
Through the bleakest part of winter -- January 10, 2013 through the end of February -- the Ruby Winter Writing Festival can help keep your creative fires burning, with support, advice, inspiration, frequent live chats, and fun prizes for participants.

Unlike NaNoWriMo and other writing challenges that have a one-size-fits-all approach, the Ruby Festival is designed for you.  It's based on a point system, with the goal of earning one point per day.  Everyone gets one bonus point on the first day for stopping by the Ruby blog and making a public commitment to take part in the Festival.  Then, for each of the 49 days of the Festival (including January 10), you work to earn an additional point -- and you decide what it takes to earn that point.

Here are some examples of the sorts of things you might define as worth one point:

 -- Writing X number of words or pages
 -- Deep revising Y number of pages
 -- Polishing Z number of pages
 -- Freewriting / brainstorming for Q number of minutes / hours
 -- Doing R number of 20-minute writing sprints
 -- Keeping butt in chair and hands on keyboard for S number of hours

For instance, one person might commit to earning points according to the following terms:

 -- Writing 500 words per day OR
 -- Deep revising 10 pages per day OR
 -- Doing a final polish on 25 pages per day

Any day that person meets ANY of those goals, she gets a point.

You set the goals that meet your personal writing style and writing needs.  If you can't meet your goal on any particular day, you can certainly double or triple or quadruple your goal on another day to catch up.  All goals are equally worthy.  It's not a competition, it's a supportive process for moving forward with your writing.

Check in on the Ruby blog every Friday during the Festival to report your progress.  If you reach the end of February with a nice round 50 points, you win!!

What's not to love? 

MY GOAL
I'm going to stick with the same goal I had last year -- write 500 words a day -- because it worked for me.  The lower number made the goal seem more achievable, and I often wrote double my word count.  Last year I even wrote on the weekends, something I rarely do because that's designated family time to me.  But the point of the Festival is to push yourself a little in order to see results.  And I did.  This year I plan to do the same.  I may even participate in a writing sprint...or two.  How about you? 

Check out the Winter Writing Festival homepage and get ready to write!


 -- Text and photo courtesy of Ruby-Slippered Sisterhood --

3 comments:

  1. Seems like a cool idea, but I don't want to get sucked into something else that takes up time ;) I'm just gonna write and work towards my goals =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat - I understand. The Writing Festival works for me because it provides just the right amount of motivation, the goals are flexible, and I don't have to participate in the Festival's extras if I don't want to, just check in on Fridays to update my points. You inspire me big time, so keep doing what you're doing. Happy writing! =)

      Delete
    2. Awww, thank you hun! I'm glad I help you out!! xoxo

      Delete