Friday, April 26, 2013

First Line Friday: Blood Sisters

Happy Friday! 
 
I love it when a first line of a book has me hooked. I want the first line to draw me in, to leave me wondering what happens next. A weak first line won't keep me from reading a book, but a great first line does make a good impression. 

I recently discovered the books of Melanie Clegg. She writes meticulously researched historical fiction set in the eighteenth century. Her second book, Blood Sisters, is a sweeping saga that follows a trio of aristocratic sisters who are caught up in the French Revolution. 
 
Here's the first line...
 
"They came for me while I was still asleep."
 
This is  an awesome first line, IMO. The second I read it, I was hooked. It pulled me right into the story and made me want to know the all-important Five W's: Who. What. When. Where. Why.

What do you think?  Does this first line hook you?    
       

4 comments:

  1. That is a very good first line. I love it!

    I don't necessarily care either way about first lines. An awful one doesn't make a good impression, but I find the majority of first lines are just average. I do, however, get very excited about a story with a great first line =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat - Well said. Great first lines make me very happy. =)

      Delete
  2. It does hook me. And I do love a good first line, but coming up with my own tends to stress me out, so I like to just hope inspiration will strike. But honestly, sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina - I always have a difficult time coming up with a good first line. Practice, practice, practice. That's the key. ;)

      Delete