Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Polish Your Manuscript


A good writer polishes her manuscript until it shines like a vampire in the sun.


Well, ain't that pretty.


Ooo, even better!

Who wouldn't want to rewrite and tweak her rough draft until it sparkles as beautifully as Edward Cullen. I sure do. I like all things that glitter. And, I'll be the first to admit, I'm a perfectionist. Is there a perfectionist lurking inside of you as well? It's time you let it go a la Elsa in Frozen.


Seriously. There comes a point when enough is enough. It's time to stop fussing and rewriting and complete your book. If you don't, you could very well polish your voice right out of your story.

Author Larissa Ione agrees. In the August issue of RWR, she admits polishing her work was one of her biggest problems before she got published.

"I spent so much time polishing and paying attention to 'the rules' that my voice didn't shine. Once I let that go and learned to leave the story a little rough, a little raw, my voice came through.

Voice is so important to a story, and it's so easily edited out. So to those who have the urge to keep polishing, I suggest going over the story for one polish...and then let that sucker loose into the world. Editors can help you fix your writing...but they can't help you fix your voice."

Well said Larissa. Well said.   

2 comments: