Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WIP Wednesday


Normally I enjoy revisions. I especially love them when I have endless pages of notes. That wasn't the case this past week. I had so many notes to sort through, I felt like I was doing a 2,000 plus jigsaw puzzle and couldn't find the crucial corner piece. Why, oh why, did I have so many notes for one chapter?


I was overwhelmed by my notes. So what did I do? I worked on a different chapter.


Days passed. I made great progress on that other chapter. Unfortunately, the one my CP is waiting to read just sat there gathering dust...until I forced myself to sit down and tackle my notes. 

Of course, that's when my laptop decided to get an attitude and wouldn't let me open Word.


Apparently some updates were corrupted. Or the laptop was possessed. I'm still not sure which one is the truth. Anyway, my hubby fixed the problem. It took him an entire night to figure out what was wrong, but in the end he saved the day. Hooray for hubbies who can fix computers, even though they don't work for Google.


The very next day I got to work on my revisions. I started with a plan: to organize my notes. I didn't worry about dialogue tags or pretty prose. Instead I cut and pasted until my notes were in order, and then I began to flesh out the scenes. And you know what? It worked.



The moral of my story: Ignore the big picture if it scares you. Focus on smaller goals instead -- whatever helps you hurdle the obstacles in your path. Also, never give up. No matter where you are in your process, just keep moving forward. It's the only way to get ahead and reach your goals. 

4 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm happy your computer is working again and that you're have success with your chapter =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I really needed a pep talk today. In the heart of revisions and feeling like the big picture is still a bit frightening. Going to take your advice. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! The big picture can be scary at times. It always helps me to focus on little goals. I'm glad my advice made your day better. =)

      Delete